I suppose I could continue my previous day’s ruminations, but at the moment, I just don’t have it in me.

I’m feeling a vague sense of dissatisfaction or unease or disquiet. It’s hard to define it, and it’s frustrating to be hit with it now, especially when I’m making some progress in other arenas. I guess as usual, I haven’t had enough sleep, so I’m left with the crabby that often seems to accompany my day-to-day life.

I also learned recently that my caffeine intake has increased enough that I suffer when it decreases — i.e., Saturday evening a migraine starts to take hold, and by Sunday it’s in full-force. So Sunday I dope myself with some pills and a cup of coffee. Kinda sad, but it seems to do the trick.

Some of you may recall that I went to Vegas a little while ago. If I can give anyone advice, it’s try not to go in August. It’s hot there, and while I thought I could handle it, it was pretty draining. Even my feet were winding up in pain each day because they were becoming swollen from the heat and the walking, and my comfy sandals just weren’t cutting it the way they usually do.

That said, it was pretty cool to go. We stayed in the Flamingo Hotel/Casino, and checked out pretty much every major casino along the Strip — so now when I see movies or tv shows that feature the Strip, I recognize the buildings and can identify where they are and what they looked like inside.

We flew out of Toronto to save some money, and our flight down was direct — leave around 9 a.m. EST, land around 11:30 Vegas time (I forget the time zone and I’m too lazy to check). 3 hours behind, 5 hourish flight, nothing too exciting about it. I always hate going through American customs, ’cause they make me feel like they seriously doubt I’m a government employee or something, and I feel like if I give the wrong job description, they’ll toss me in a cell. That said, I passed without problems.

Flying back we had to transfer planes in Winnipeg. We left Vegas at 11 p.m. local time, landed in Winnipeg around 4:30 a.m. local time (so we’re now one timezone behind Ontario), and then left Winnipeg around 6:00 a.m. to fly to Toronto for 9:30ish a.m. EST. Got that?

The DB and I did the best we could to sleep through the flight, but I kept waking up to pop my eardrums — which are crazy sensitive to the pressure changes — and because I was cold, uncomfortable, etc. I’m pretty zonked and feeling punchy, especially when there were only two/three customs agents processing people through (understandable, given the hour). I’m being more verbose than usual to help set the stage. Jen = tired, punchy, dumb.

I finally get up to the customs agent and present my declaration, passport, kidney, etc. The guy looks over my declarations (nothing right down the list), and asks if I have anything to declare. I say no, he asks why not.

I, in all of my brilliance and excellent sense of self-preservation, state that it’s because I didn’t win enough money to buy any drugs or guns.

Yes, I said it.

No, he didn’t violate my bum.

Instead, he kinda laughed and said deadpan, good, I’ll write that on here — no drugs or guns. I thanked him and said that that would help me get processed faster. He said no, actually, it wouldn’t.

And I’m still alive to tell the tale.

Moral? Probably not a good idea to fly with me on a red-eye. I’m dumb and I spend even less time thinking before speaking — which is a scary thought in and of itself.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s